Bachelor of Divinity
bachelor of divinity (b.d)
- Degree Program Under Senate of Serampore Regulation
- Duration: 4 years for Secular graduate and 5 years for those applying after their Pre-University.
nature of the program:
The BD Degree programme is the basic theological degree offered under the Senate of Serampore College (University). It is designed as a master’s level programme and is offered to candidates who already have the first degree; though the nomenclature BD may suggest otherwise. The Bachelor of Divinity Degree is designed to prepare students for the foundations and the fundamentals of theological education, since our universities do not offer theology as a discipline/branch of study. The Department of Christian Studies is only a recent phenomenon and it is not offered in secular universities as a regular course at the undergraduate level. Students at the BD level are both introduced to the foundations of theology as well as advanced level theological studies at a later stage. Thus, the BD programme is for 4 years for Secular graduate and 5 years for those applying after their Pre-University.
The study is primarily aimed to prepare and equip candidates for the diversified ministries of the church in particular, and society in general. The scope of study therefore is open to adherents of the Christian faith. The BD Programme of study is both academic as well as ministerial. During the period of studies, the students are familiarized with critical academic scholarship in a Christian environment to mature as disciples of Jesus Christ, committed to the cause of the gospel. The study is intended to instill and cultivate good moral values and a lifestyle in resonance with the vision and mission of the Church. Character building and spiritual growth are part and parcel of theological education. The programme is designed to inculcate in students the sense of commitment and call as Christian ministers. In essence, the BD programme is intended for ministerial training to serve Church and society.
objectives of the program:
- To develop in students a spirituality that is both personal and community centered.
- To equip students to become effective witnesses in their varied and diversified Christian vocations.
- To challenge students with alternative tools of interpretation so that they may read the Bible in the appropriate context in which it is located.
- To create in students critical consciousness and openness of mind in order to analyze cultural, social, economic, political and ecclesiastical milieus.
- To impact students with the Gospel of Christ as a transforming power in their personal, ecclesial and societal lives.
- To instill in students the “reign of God” values for transforming the Church and the society.
- To make students agents of the “New Creation” founded on the principles of Justice, Peace, and integrity of the whole Creation.
The candidate at the time of admission to the B.D. degree course must satisfy one of the following conditions.
A candidate who has passed Higher Secondary Education (10+2) shall be admitted to the five-year B.D. program under the integrated system, i.e., one year B.D. Orientation study plus four years B.D. degree program.
A candidate who has completed a Bachelor’s Degree or Post Graduate from a recognised University shall be admitted to the first year of the four years B.D. program.
A holder of a B.Th. degree of the Senate of Serampore College (University) in first or second divisions and third division shall be admitted as a lateral candidate in the third year and second year of the B.D. program respectively.