The Arthington Aborigines Mission appointed William Pettigrew, a Scotties national as a missionary to India. When the British rule became firmly established in Manipur in 1894, Pettigrew got permission to enter into Manipur and landed at Imphal on 6th February, 1894 with the gospel to the natives. After his arrival, for two years, he was not allowed to preach and so he started a private tuition for the children of the government officials. He introduced western education by establishing school and the Meities were pleased with his teaching method in English.
Unfortunately, when the political agent Major Maxwell returned from Furlough, Pettigrew was asked to discontinue his work in Imphal. However, he was given an option to work in the hills, which were under the British administration at his own risk. He arrived at Ukhrul in February 1896 and started his mission work. The only means of communicating the gospel to the people was first to educate the people. So, he started a school and within a short span of time, the school became Middle English School.
As the World War-I broke out in 1914 in Europe, Pettigrew was appointed by the government to recruit the Labour Corps. At the same time, a severe epidemic broke out in Manipur. At this crucial period, he was asked by the government to help in the medical work, especially to look after the epidemic from which many had suffered. So, he took the initiative to help the government in medical work and in recruiting the Labour Corps. In return for his good services, the government allotted the present Mission Compound, Kangpokpi for the mission work. Thus, the seed of mission work was sown at Mission Compound in 1920. The work developed mainly in two different areas; education and medical works.
~rev. william pettigrew & family~
The First Missionary to Manipur
After many years, in 1953, a Vernacular Bible School (VBS) called Central Bible School was started by the last missionary J. S. Anderson who left Manipur on November 8, 1954. This VBS was upgraded to English Medium Diploma Certificate course in 1969 and the name of the institution was also changed into Manipur Bible Institute; offering a three years Certificate of Bible Studies (CBS) course. In 1981, the CBS was upgraded to Diploma of Biblical Studies (DBS) by the Council of Baptist Churches in North-East India Theological Committee. To meet the needs of the people, the Manipur Baptist Convention Executive Council upgraded the DBS to Bachelor of Theology (B.Th.) in 1984. With this, the name of the institution was changed to Manipur Theological College (MTC). The college got conditional affiliation to the Senate of Serampore College (University) in 1992 and in 2003, the Senate granted full-fledged affiliation for B.Th. program.
Another milestone was the introduction of Bachelor of Divinity (B.D). After having inspected the infrastructures & facilities and having fulfilled the requirements, the Senate of Serampore College (University) granted provisional affiliation for B.D. course with effect from June 2008. In February 2012, the Senate granted full-fledged affiliation for B.D. course.
In order to meet the changing needs of the church and society and with the purpose to train more ministers, the college took another significant step in introducing Master of Divinity (M. Div.) and Master of Theology (M. Th.) degrees affiliated to Martin Luther Christian University, Shillong on 18th January, 2020. The college offers M. Th. course in the field of Christian Ministry, Christian Theology and Religion.